If you hate PVP as much as ol' Morty here, but nevertheless find yourself trying to eke out your existence on a PVP realm, you've come to the right place! Within just a few days on Daggerspine-US, I have MAXED OUT my Cowardly Survival skill, and have plenty of pointers to share on how you too can [usually] escape the long cold hand of death. Here are the nuggets of wisdom I've gleaned so far:
1. Some traffic-heavy points in a zone, such as the Throne Room of Phaoris in Uldum, are not marked as Sanctuary but nevertheless ARE. So when you swoop in at top speed from your ultra-cool (and now slightly retro) proto-drake, landing right in front of Phaoris himself, you can trust Morty that there is NOTHING to fear should you find yourself in a crowd of red-labeled overgeared 85s. Just ingore them and walk right up to Phaoris as if you BELONG there. You do! Although leaving may be another matter, right now you're as safe as Pinocchio in the belly of the whale! Carry on about your business as if no one else is there. And should one of those red-labeled Nasties get too itchy for a fight and attempt to impale you on the outrageously large sword they certainly don't deserve to own, it is very important that you follow these steps precisely:
- Target the person attempting to kill you.
- Click on the chat box. They're going to understand you this time, trust me.
- type the following: /laugh
- By the time you are done typing the above, Mr. Red-Label should be thoroughly dead at the hands of Phaoris' guards.
- Press Enter. Your would-be killer will now be feeling stupid and embarrassed - especially if his friends got to watch the entertainment.
2. Plan on spending a LOT of time mounted, hovering in the air, going nowhere, high enough up that no one can target you. This is what not only cowards like you and I do, this is what EVERYONE does. Have a look around. You'll see all sorts of winged creatures in the air doing absolutely nothing other than keeping their owners out of death's reach.
3. This could almost be part of #2 above - FLY EVERYWHERE. Killing 12 Rabid Chickens for a quest? Fly right down on top of Rabid Chicken #1, snap his neck off, get the Rabid Gizzard Quest Item (how else will you earn that 8 gold?), then IMMEDIATELY mount and fly straight up! Hurry, man - somebody might have seen your cowardly butt on the ground and come over to investigate what you're doing! Have a look around to be sure no one waiting for you to land again. If the coast is clear, swoop in on Rabid Chicken #2. Rinse and repeat.
4. Sometimes you just can't avoid coming within striking range of a red-labeled Nasty while on the ground. Your best hope is that he/she is a coward as well, and wants nothing more than to find their own Rabid Chickens to kill. Go ahead and wave at them. See if they wave back. No? Mount and hover, fool! If they wave or salute back, the chances that you will survive in their proximity have greatly increased. Pat yourself on the back! You may also find it helpful to use real-life school survival skills: wish yourself "invisible and unnoticeable" whenever in higher traffic areas, and get rid of any brightly colored clothing that might attract a bully's attention. Trust me, it works!
5. When they do attack, and there is no nearby assistance, there is NO DISHONOR in running like a fool for your very life. Use whatever speed increasing spells, abilities, or potions you may have. The object is to STAY ALIVE. Better to be a live coward than a brave corpse.
Ultimately, being on a PVP server is a lot like high school. Prepare to be humiliated by those bigger and stronger than you... especially if they enjoy hearing the muffled scream of your face in the toilet. In turn, you have the ability to carry on the chain of abuse to those of lower level and lesser geared than you. Personally, I only like to gank lowbies when the difference in level is EXCESSIVE. For one, it absolutely ensures survival of the encounter, and two, it's funny as heck to one-shot some poor level 10 into the great black and white. After all, it's the cowardly thing to do!
Mortigan the Tail-Tucked